[Om3] a few wishes for OM3 CD format

Paul Libbrecht paul at activemath.org
Thu Aug 23 13:30:50 CEST 2007

Hello,

In our attempts to create content-dictionaries back from OMDoc
theories made of symbols, we have encountered the following "missing
features" of the CD format.
I don't think we have yet cooked a more concrete list of planned
enhancements to the CD format so I do not know what are the intents.

I am hereby requesting consideration for inclusion into the OpenMath
CD format which might flow into MathML CD-format as well:

= Mixed texts, links, and formulae =
  It has been our experience that simple text is too often too small
to express and that the obvious web-rendering of CDs should take
advantage of links imperatively.
They should be possible within properties, examples, and comments

= Kind-of relation between symbols =
   I would wish simple "sub-kind" relation between symbols.
   I know types and other artifacts can play a role here but a simple
sub-kind appears more effective to me and could have relatively
immediate applications to "semi-public-CDs"

= User-oriented Titles =
   The symbol name is a URI hence is neither translatable nor really
human-readable. The human-name of a symbol, that is its title, can be
very often used in rendered OpenMath. Multilingual versions should be
available.

= Translations of examples and properties =
   Examples and properties should be translatable to many languages.

= Bibliographic Supplement =
   I seem to be missing a few librarian info such as: rights and
author and I would wish an "earlier-version" slot as well. I think it
is better to have this than to have all this info in CDComment as is
the case currently. In particular the authors should be required fields.

thanks

paul