[Om3] [Om] units, was Re: svn.openmath.org is now opened

Professor James Davenport jhd at cs.bath.ac.uk
Wed Jul 11 12:28:26 CEST 2007

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007, John Ogilvie wrote:
> In the list below of dimensions, mass appears twice.  Clearly this double
> appearance is incorrect.  The correct name of the quantity for which the
True.
> SI unit is 'mol' is 'amount of [chemical] substance', with appropriate
> technical connotations for 'substance'.
Um. Is the 'mol' an SI unit as such? A 'mol' of O2 is not a 'mol' of N2,
for example.
>       It would be worth while and appropriate to add the SI units radian,
> for angle within a plane, and steradian, for solid angle, but neither
> degree nor grad.
Why not? I grant they are not SI, and might belong in a different CD, but
they are common units. Whilst I often say that my Vice-Chancellor has
executes a \pi turn, most people refer to them as 180-degree turns.
James