[Om3] OMS and OMV contents?

Michael Kohlhase m.kohlhase at jacobs-university.de
Sat Jul 14 09:18:08 CEST 2007

Dear all,
> OMV: Here the question is more subtle - does the presentation create a NEW
>      OMV, or not.
>      If it does NOT, then OMATTR strikes me as still being the right way
>      to go.
>      The hard problem is what happens if 'gothicA' is a DIFFERENT OMV from
>      'A'. Here there probbaly is a case for changing OMV to allow a
>      'renderas' attribute, which would name a NEW OMV.

I think that the situation for variables is alleviated by the fact that
we introduced/clarified the use of the definitionURL attribute on <ci>
elements for bound variables in MathML2. This allows OpenMath-like
referencing of variables (irrspective of their content). The example in
the MathML2 Spec is (slightly augmented)

<set>
  <condition>
    <apply>
      <lt/>
      <ci definitionURL="#var-x"> [some variant of the presentation] </ci>
      <cn> 1 </cn>
    </apply>
  </condition>
</set>

that would suggest to treat (bound) variables just like csymbols (which
would be philosophically correct). For free variables, we could just do
the same. The only thing we really will have to figure out is what we
want to do with referencing in OMS/csymbol and OMV/ci. As far as I
remember, we have never quite decided what to do there in MathML.

Michael

> James

 Prof. Dr. Michael Kohlhase,       Office: Research 1, Room 62
 Professor of Computer Science     Campus Ring 12,
 School of Engineering & Science   D-28759 Bremen, Germany
 Jacobs University Bremen*         tel/fax: +49 421 200-3140/-493140
 m.kohlhase at jacobs-university.de http://kwarc.info/kohlhase
 skype: m.kohlhase   * International University Bremen until Feb. 2007