[Om3] Math in office documents/Providing an implementation for a symbol

Paul Libbrecht paul at activemath.org
Tue Dec 16 00:35:19 CET 2008

Bryce,

This an interesting thread... quite a pan-galactic one.

I tend to agree with the vision described in:
   http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office-comment/200812/msg00016.html
(I haven't read attachments yet)
One seems to be able to propose even a lot more with the web at hand.

One thing that really bothers me is that, on the one hand, you wish to
have a universal representation of mathematical objects and, on the
other side, you propose to carry a *single* implementation.

- why single? (I guess the answer is "because it's the simple way" but
that doesn't convince me... in many bizarre cases alternate
implementations are useful

- why not hope that arbitrary FMPs of OpenMath CDs can make it that
tools devise implementations that satisfy these FMPs? (note: devise
does not mean execute, at least, not in all cases)

The big big big issue with a single implementation is the "topology of
symbols" which makes it that if you specify your implementation P in a
document you send me I have to take your implementation and cannot
trust my software that my implementation is also applicable: it makes
the whole math organized as a tree with central things without freedom.

I wonder if you don't wish to port this to om at openmath.org which is
slightly broader than om3.

paul