[Om3] DC metadata for content dictionaries

Christoph LANGE ch.lange at jacobs-university.de
Tue Feb 26 12:30:18 CET 2008

Dear OpenMath 3 developers,

  in the course of the integration of OpenMath into my semantic wiki SWiM, I'm
currently working on an ontology for content dictionaries (more details to be
announced separately), and there I'm asking myself how to represent metadata
for content dictionaries and parts thereof. First of all, I had a look at the
metadata of CDs as specified in the OM 2 standard. Some of them are quite
generic, so it makes sense to me to reuse vocabulary from well-known
ontologies like Dublin Core. I found the following reasonable mappings:

CDName = dc:identifier
Description = dc:description
CDDate = dc:date
CDComment = rdfs:comment

Other properties like CDBase, which are not available in some common external
ontology, I defined myself. But for those we can use e.g. from DC, wouldn't
it make sense to use the DC terms in the OpenMath XML markup altogether, and
to allow the full set of DC (see
http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-terms/)? There are more interesting
properties there, such as dateSubmitted, or license, which are not part of
OM2. The result would then look like this (with proper namespace
declarations):

<CD>
  <dc:identifier>arith1</dc:identifier>
  <dc:description>Arithmetical operators</dc:description>
  <dc:dateSubmitted>1999-01-01</dc:dateSubmitted>
</CD>

And now that we are at it, what would you think about allowing these metadata
for subsections of CDs as well? That is, for CDDefinition, Example,
Signature, …?

Best,

Christoph