[Om3] Names of the Joint MathML3/OM3 CDs

Michael Kohlhase m.kohlhase at jacobs-university.de
Thu Jan 24 08:12:03 CET 2008

Dear all,

I have been looking at product and sum some more in the context of the
lifted AC operators (see https://trac.kwarc.info/OM3/ticket/23), and
there the situation gets even thornier. We have the mathml <sum/> token
element, which in the classification above is plus-exp, and we have the
sum at arith1 symbol in OpenMath, which is actually plus-coll.

So we have to decide where the simple backwards compatibility wins,
MathML or OpenMath. In my mind plus-exp should be named 'sum' somehow.
But it should not be sum at arith1, which is already taken.

This raises the general question, what the names of the content
dictionaries will be for the MathML CDs should be. Maybe we have to
invent new names to make sure that the old OpenMath CDs from the MathML
Group are deprecated. Maybe we should use  m:arith.cd3 for the joint
MathML3/OpenMath3 CD for arithmetic smbols. That would at least make the
design easier, since we do have have backwards compatibility problems.

We will have to discuss this in the near future in the OM3 group, so
please give us your opinion.

 Prof. Dr. Michael Kohlhase,       Office: Research 1, Room 62
 Professor of Computer Science     Campus Ring 12,
 School of Engineering & Science   D-28759 Bremen, Germany
 Jacobs University Bremen*         tel/fax: +49 421 200-3140/-493140
 m.kohlhase at jacobs-university.de http://kwarc.info/kohlhase
 skype: m.kohlhase   * International University Bremen until Feb. 2007