[Om3] CDSignatures/@cd, CDSignatures/@type: how to resolve?

Christoph LANGE ch.lange at jacobs-university.de
Fri May 9 02:05:39 CEST 2008

Dear OpenMath developers,

  I have resumed my work on the ontology for OpenMath CDs and on representing
information from CDs in RDF. Now I wonder how the relationship from a
signature dictionary to the CD it contains signatures for and to its type
system is established. The specification says that both the @type and the @cd
attribute of CDSignatures are just _names_ of content dictionaries, but how
should these be resolved? How would we find out their URL? If we're just
looking at a signature dictionary, we don't have any information such as
CDBase, which would help us to do this resolution. Sure, in practice one
could assume that a @type and @cd contain URLs relative to the URI of the
signature dictionary file (see example below), but that behaviour is
specified nowhere.

So, should the type of these attributes actually be changed to URIref, should
a CDBase be provided for signature dictionaries, or am I getting something
wrong?

Here is an example for resolving relatively to the signature dictionary. I
assume that's the common case, but then this default behaviour should be
mentioned in the specification:

Let http://url/of/foo.sts be a signature dictionary as follows:

<CDSignatures type="sts" cd="foo">
</CDSignatures>