[Om3] CDSignatures/@cd, CDSignatures/@type: how to resolve?

James Davenport J.H.Davenport at bath.ac.uk
Fri May 9 08:17:17 CEST 2008

[Thanks for re-opening the debate: one of the things on my 'list of things
to do when the examinations are over' was to prod OM3]
On Fri, May 9, 2008 1:05 am, Christoph LANGE wrote:
>   I have resumed my work on the ontology for OpenMath CDs and on
> representing
> information from CDs in RDF. Now I wonder how the relationship from a
I am not an RDF guru, so what follows MAY be bogus.
> signature dictionary to the CD it contains signatures for and to its type
> system is established. The specification says that both the @type and the
I assume the 'specification' means OM3
> @cd attribute of CDSignatures are just _names_ of content dictionaries,
> but how
> should these be resolved? How would we find out their URL? If we're just
> looking at a signature dictionary, we don't have any information such as
This is a good question: 'does/should a signature file make sense "on its
own" and, if so, how?'. You are saying 'Yes, but indeed how?'
> CDBase, which would help us to do this resolution. Sure, in practice one
> could assume that a @type and @cd contain URLs relative to the URI of
> the signature dictionary file (see example below), but that behaviour is
> specified nowhere.
>
> So, should the type of these attributes actually be changed to URIref,
> should a CDBase be provided for signature dictionaries, or am I getting
> something wrong?
Something does seem to be wrong, but it may be my own ignorance.
Let me ask a stupid question. When I say
<OMS name="plus" cd ="arith1"/>
I mean 'the standard arith1'. Can you refresh my memory on how that
intention is implemented?
> Here is an example for resolving relatively to the signature dictionary. I
> assume that's the common case, but then this default behaviour should be
> mentioned in the specification:
>
> Let http://url/of/foo.sts be a signature dictionary as follows:
>
> <CDSignatures type="sts" cd="foo">
> </CDSignatures>
>
> Then @type="sts" would resolve to http://url/of/sts.ocd, and @cd="foo"
I would seriously hope not - I would like it to refer to 'the standard
sts' as with "arith1" above. I do not know enough RDF to know how to
achieve this effect, though.
> would resolve to http://url/of/foo.ocd -- right?
> --
> Christoph Lange, Jacobs Univ. Bremen, http://kwarc.info/clange, Skype
> duke4701

James Davenport
Hebron & Medlock Professor of Information Technology
Formerly RAE Coordinator, and still grant-writer
Still Undergraduate Director of Studies, CS Dept
Lecturer on CM30070, 30078, 50209, 50123
Chairman, Powerful Computing WP, University of Bath
OpenMath Content Dictionary Editor