[Om3] Two more CDBase questions

Michael Kohlhase m.kohlhase at jacobs-university.de
Tue May 13 08:51:52 CEST 2008

Christoph LANGE wrote:
> Dear James,
>
> On Monday 12 May 2008 22:50:20 James Davenport wrote:
>
>>> And here's now one more question about a thing that either is not
>>> specified or
>>> that I'm too stupid to see. For OpenMath objects we say that if a cdbase
>>> is not given for a symbol, it is inherited from a parent. But what if
>>> there is an
>>> OpenMath object within a CD (say /CD/CDDefinition/FMP/OMOBJ) where no
>>> cdbase is defined? Does that mean that the default CDBase
>>> http://www.openmath.org/cd
>>> applies, or does the CDBase of that content dictionary apply, i.e.
>>> /CD/CDBase?
>>> I think the latter would make more sense, but on the other hand it would
>>> make
>>> processing easier if we forced CD authors to explicitly specify the
>>> cdbase for
>>> every OpenMath object, if they want it to be different from the default
>>> one.
>>>
>> No - I think the former would be much easier to use. Otherwise a piece of
>> OM cxan change its meaning if it is cut/pasted around. I would like to be
>> able to read a definition of a symbol from a CD without having to check
>> whether ordinary-looking symbols had been redefined.
>>

> Indeed, that sounds convincing; I had not thought of the copy/paste case.

I think that whatever we do, the current setup with cdbase being
inherited from parent elements (whether that be OM Object-internal
inheritance as specified in OM2 or the case for CDs and CDSignatures
where you are essentially proposing document-level inheritance), we will
have problems with copy and paste. The only safeguard against this is to
put full cdbase into every OMS. But this is what we decided against in
the name of legibility. But of course for OM3 we would decide
differently on the grounds that we have learned something.

Michael