[Om3] CD group and signature markup naming issues

David Carlisle davidc at nag.co.uk
Sat Nov 1 00:23:05 CET 2008

> Now I have to rephrase my original message.  One thing that actually struck me
> was the fact that the local names of the elements in different namespaces also
> have a reference to the namespace.  Why not just cd:ReviewDate and
> cds:ReviewDate, or cd:Name and cdg:Name?

If the namespace spec had been done 2 years earlier than it was, then we
could have

<m:row> instead of <m:mrow>
<om:A> instead of <om:OMA>
<cd:Name> instead of <cd:CDName>

But the fact is that the namespace spec came out late (due in part to a
very acrimonious development cycle:-) and the basic naming scheme for
openmath, openmath cds, mathml, were all fixed pre-namespace and
namespaces just layered on top. In a different universe it could have
been different but history is what it is...

David