[Om3] Results from the OM3/MathML3 telcon yesterday

Professor James Davenport jhd at cs.bath.ac.uk
Sat Oct 11 17:20:44 CEST 2008

I sent this, but it fell foul of the length limit. So I am resending it
without the attachment, which is at
http://staff.bath.ac.uk/masjhd/OpenMath/Conditions-JHD.pdf

James

Subject: Re: [Om3] Results from the OM3/MathML3 telcon yesterday
From:    "Professor James Davenport" <jhd at cs.bath.ac.uk>
Date:    Sat, October 11, 2008 11:16 am
To:      m.kohlhase at jacobs-university.de

On Sat, October 11, 2008 8:06 am, Michael Kohlhase wrote:
> yesterday at 17:00-18:00 CET we had the telcon on the future of complex
> binding operators and the  condition element in OM3/MathML3.
>
> Present: Olga Caprotti, David Carlisle, James Davenport, Michael
> Kohlhase , Chris Rowley.
> Minutes: see below.
Than,s to all who particapated. For those who weren't there, can I point
out thatthese are the record of the written part of the meeting: if
some-one SAYS (therefore unrecorded here) someting important, some-one
else tends to enter it into the reocrd, hence phrases like:
> Olga Caprotti
> 17:42
> David says STS has to be fixed also
> j.h.davenport
> 17:42
> david: STS doesn't really handle binders, even simpler ones
which is Olga and I attempting to capture what david was saying.

> James was tasked to make sense of the integration/differentiation
> examples from the MathML2 spec and make concrete suggestions for the
> expression-based calculus CD.
The attahced is my first (incomplete) cut at this.

>    2. the group does not think that complex binding operators like the
>       one above is a suitable representation measure for the <condition>
>       qualifier element of pragmatic MathML. In particular, we do not
>       want to accept the occurrence of the bound variable in the
>       (complex) binding operator. In particular, the OpenMath2 standard
>       restricts alpha-conversion to the second and third children of the
>       OMBIND, which is consistent with this view.
Note, towards the end, a concrete example which illustrates this point.

James Davenport
Hebron & Medlock Professor of Information Technology
Formerly RAE Coordinator and Undergraduate Director of Studies, CS Dept
Lecturer on CM30070, 30078, 50209, 50123, 50199
Chairman, Powerful Computing WP, University of Bath
OpenMath Content Dictionary Editor
IMU Committee on Electronic Information and Communication