[Om3] three avenues for the condition elements

Michael Kohlhase m.kohlhase at jacobs-university.de
Sat Oct 25 07:17:23 CEST 2008

Dear all,

the MathML WG has to bring out the next working draft of the MathML3
recommendation and we have a code freeze on November 6. Since this is
the last working draft before the "last call" stage of MathML3, it would
be good to have resolved the question whether the <condition> element
belongs into strict MathML or pragmatic. Therefore I would ask you to
give your opinions about the resolution ASAP. I will organize a
teleconfere later in the coming week or early in the week of the 6.
where we take a decision.

Michael

Paul Libbrecht wrote:
> (warning: this text contains unicode character)
>
> Hello group,
>
> yesterday, at the MathML face-to-face we did discuss three possible
> avenues to answer the need for a condition element, here is a short
> synopsis for them:
>
> #1 condition element
> Basically add, in OpenMath and strict MathML, an element called
> condition or omcond that mimics the current condition element.
>
> #2 condition symbol
> Invent a new symbol called condition which would do a very similar
> function.
> For example, if it was called c, one would write a conditional
> function as
>   λ.x,y: c(x ≠ y, x / (x-y) )
>
> #3 conditional symbol variants
> For each binder-like symbol, add a variant symbol which does accept an
> extra argument, the condition. The function above would be written:
>   λ.x,y: x ≠ y, x / (x-y)
>
> comments welcome. Stan, could you repeat some of the comments in
> favour of #1 in this list please?
>
> thanks in advance
>
> paul

 Prof. Dr. Michael Kohlhase,       Office: Research 1, Room 62
 Professor of Computer Science     Campus Ring 12,
 School of Engineering & Science   D-28759 Bremen, Germany
 Jacobs University Bremen*         tel/fax: +49 421 200-3140/-493140
 m.kohlhase at jacobs-university.de http://kwarc.info/kohlhase
 skype: m.kohlhase   * International University Bremen until Feb. 2007