[Om3] [Fwd: ISSUE-33 (statistical symbols): Kyle's Siegrist's request for new Content-MathML symbol]

Chris Rowley C.A.Rowley at open.ac.uk
Wed Oct 29 14:56:05 CET 2008

Paul wrote ---

> I've never seen the "," sepped version (though been TA in such branch,
> shame on me!).

Good job you were not my TA:-).

I think he is referring to higher dimensional random variables (aka
joint distibutions of 1-d RVs.

Then this makes sense too:

> > I have no idea what is meant by E(A,B).

> You can measure expectation on any event, can't you?

Expectation is usually defined on RVs (wih a suitably 'integrable
measure') (thus it is rather tortuous to give a meaning to 'the
expectation of the colour of a random Smartie(M&M)').

So yes, as Michael said, I shall consult colleagues actively teaching
in this area and produce a suggested CD containg the current stuff and
these types of notation.

chris