[Om3] target K14 for reading content-math spec any realistic?

Chris Rowley C.A.Rowley at open.ac.uk
Mon Sep 8 11:37:18 CEST 2008

Paul

I think that you and David are suggesting fairly close criteria,
perhaps just a difference of what is meant by 'interoperability'.

This also raises the question about what in a 'description' of the
mathematical meaning, rather than of the syntax and computational
semantics, affects interoperability.

You wrote --
> As for the OpenMath CDs or MathML chapter 4 descriptions, I just feel
> they need to be minimal enough to be interoperable.

That sounds like a good rule, but on looking a bit deeper we need to
pin down questions such as:

interoperable with what systems?  and/or what types of system?

only exisiting systems?  or plausible future systems (eg tutorial
assistants)?

for each system, what is interoperable and what is not?

(sub-questions):

what makes a symbol alone (rather than an expression)
interoperable?

is it any more than (something like) its 'signature'?

how strongly, or simply, typed must it be?

chris