[Om3] target K14 for reading content-math spec any realistic?

David Carlisle davidc at nag.co.uk
Mon Sep 8 12:20:29 CEST 2008

> Allow me to doubt about the intent "K14" for the MathML content symbol
> descriptions.

My understanding of the "K14" was not that it should really have any
bearing on the language used in descriptions, but just a loose
justification for the essentially arbitrary collection of functions in
MathML (and the core OM CDs). If you ask why the trigonometric functions
are in but the Bessel functions are out, the answer is more or less
"K14" Which (after I'd had it translated to me) means that the functions
are likely to be taught in pre-university education in some common
education systems. I never thought it should constrain the language
used in descriptipons.

> I had always understood the K12 or K14 target of MathML3 as being "the
> set of symbols corresponds to these that one would commonly accept at
> a person that has about 14 years of learning in his or her life".

Yes, exactly.

> That  is, to my taste, is acceptable but very different.

It's certainly different from saying that the descriptions of the
symbols need to be related to education at that level, yes.

> PS: sorry, I am currently cross-posting to om3 at openmath.org and
> member-math at w3.org

If non members post to the member-math list they will land up in the
moderator's mailbox (I think).

David