[Om3] Difference between description and discussion?

Michael Kohlhase m.kohlhase at jacobs-university.de
Tue Sep 9 05:58:18 CEST 2008

Dear Christoph,

Christoph LANGE wrote:
> Dear Michael,
>
>   sorry if you told me and I forgot, but what's again the difference between
> CDDefinition/description and CDDefinition/discussion?
The idea I have in mind is mostly what James said in a different thread,

CDDefinition/description gives a short and concise description of the symbol in plain text

CDDefinition/discussion? gives all the necessary mathematical fine print possibly using MathML or even OpenMath for that.

We sant to use the <description> to generate text into the MathML3 recommendation and for things like tooltips in applications. There we need limited length and plain unicode. The <discussion> element is intended for implementors (to establish interoperability) and for interested parties who look up the CD (beyond a simple tool-tip) and want to understand what is really meant. In the <discussion> element I imagine details like the branchcuts to be discussed.

> From what I see in the
> MathML CDs it seems to me that when both are used for a symbol, they tell the
> same with slightly different words.

That is one of the curent problems, we have not moved the text around,
but that is next. In a way still waiting for David's restructuring of
the MathML3 text generation script to get a better model of what to write.

Michael
> Thanks,
>
> Christoph

 Prof. Dr. Michael Kohlhase,       Office: Research 1, Room 62
 Professor of Computer Science     Campus Ring 12,
 School of Engineering & Science   D-28759 Bremen, Germany
 Jacobs University Bremen*         tel/fax: +49 421 200-3140/-493140
 m.kohlhase at jacobs-university.de http://kwarc.info/kohlhase
 skype: m.kohlhase   * International University Bremen until Feb. 2007