[Om3] OpenMath Symbols for Symbolic Computation

Peter Horn hornp at mathematik.uni-kassel.de
Wed Sep 10 15:58:41 CEST 2008

Dear OpenMath Community,

within the SCIEnce project (http://www.symbolic-computation.org) we
heavily use OpenMath to marshal the mathematical objects that we send
back and forth between our computer-algebra-systems. We encountered a
couple of problems that are possibly unnoticed in the OM-world so far.

(1) There is no reasonable representation for matrices.
    (We developed a 'matrix1' CD, if you are interested, we'd love to
moot it.)

(2) arith1.sum, calcucus1.diff etc. all take a function as a parameter.
    There are several quirks with this:
    * First, there ARE no functions in OM. From the examples I found
that this
      is referring to fns1.lambda-expressions.
    * Handling around these is -- from a computer-algebra point of
      view -- rather cumbersome.
    * In CA, you very frequently use expressions for this purpose and
specify
      the variable as an additional parameter as in diff(x^2+1, x),
we'd highly
      prefer this.

(3) prog1 doesn't really make me happy:
    * The prog1 stuff doesn't clearly answer the scope-question.
    * How are lambda(x, x+1) and function_definition(x, x+1) related?
    * When you claim that  "fns1.lambda" is the way to define a 'OM-
function'
      (which is implicitly(!) done in many places), the CAS-people
don't know how
      to marshal their functions in OM, especially if they consist of
a sequence
      of commands.

(4) There are tons of stuff missing
    * a unary ^-1 (arith2.inverse *may* be understood in that way)
    * rational functions
    * accessors to numerator, denominator
    * solve-commands
    * simplification-commands (which tend to have a rather unspecified
semantic, sure)
    * normalization-commands
    * a reasonable factor-command (we started developing one)
    * evaluation-commands

(x) more to come if you like.

I know these are not higher-mathematics kind-of-stuff, but they are
immediately needed when you start using OM in the context of computer-
algebra. I also know that OM was not designed to be a "generic cas-
language", but from our point of view it is quite reasonable to
develop it as-much in that direction as possible.

I don't want to gripe -- these are just some points that came up
lately and I'd love them to be considered when OM3 is developed.

Best regards, Peter
--
Peter   Horn,   University  of  Kassel          *
Computational    Mathematics     Group      *       *