[Om3] need list2.ocd for MathML group

Chris Rowley C.A.Rowley at open.ac.uk
Sun Sep 14 11:33:32 CEST 2008

Michael

> it also defines symbols   first, rest,  cons,  nil, append,
> reverse, size, in.

Although I have never taught a K14 version of this subject, I can
see K14 syllabuses that contain most of these.

> I am not sure that we want to have those in the OM3/MathML3 symbols, and
> would like to have your opinion on this.

If we have 'list' at all (as opposed to synonyms for the same
mathematics) then I think that `first, rest, cons, nil' should be
included (assuming that these form a reasonable base set of
mathematically distinguishing features of these constructs).

> Furthermore, if we add the symbols from list2 to the OM3/MathML3 set,
> then I would probably want to rename some of them, probably  nil -->
> emptylist, size --> length, in -->????

Do you mean change the symbol's name?  Or add these more meaningful
names to the description?

The convention for choosing the MathML symbol name seems to be based
on the concrete syntax of either 'mathematical tradition' or 'common
CA systems usage'.  Since for lists there is no clear maths tradition,
the latter should prevail.

chris