[Om3] need list2.ocd for MathML group

Michael Kohlhase m.kohlhase at jacobs-university.de
Sun Sep 14 12:30:52 CEST 2008

hmmm, I am not sure that I like the idea to use vector_selector for the
selector on lists.

Michael

David Carlisle wrote:
> [I removed member-math at w3.org> from the CC as it's not an open list]
>
> Michael,
>

>> I have been looking at lists as well, and MathML2 had a <selector>
>> element that could be used for lists. Therefore we also need one for the
>> OM3/MathML3 CDs.
>>

> I think things are better with just the two forms. selector was split
> into the matrix and vector symbols on the standard grounds that OM
> symbols can not be overloaded by arity, however they can be overloaded
> by type (arith1.plus means essentially addition in any construct that has
> a plus operation).
>
> If we start to split up symbols based on more precise typing than just
> arity, it complicates the mapping between pragmatic mathml and
> strict-mathml/OpenMath.
>
> <selector>
>   <ci>X</ci>
>   <ci>i</ci>
> </selector>
>
> means the ith component of the thing X, where X can be indexed by a
> single integer, so it's probably a list or vector or something of that
> sort. If the mapping to OM relies knowing exactly what sort of thing X
> is, then it becomes harder, and in this general case, impossible.
>
> I think at most all we need to do is add some words to the description
> of vector_selector to say that it is applicable to any construct indexed
> by a single integer.
>
> David

> The Numerical Algorithms Group Ltd is a company registered in England
> and Wales with company number 1249803. The registered office is:
> Wilkinson House, Jordan Hill Road, Oxford OX2 8DR, United Kingdom.
>
> This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by Star. The service is
> powered by MessageLabs.

 Prof. Dr. Michael Kohlhase,       Office: Research 1, Room 62
 Professor of Computer Science     Campus Ring 12,
 School of Engineering & Science   D-28759 Bremen, Germany
 Jacobs University Bremen*         tel/fax: +49 421 200-3140/-493140
 m.kohlhase at jacobs-university.de http://kwarc.info/kohlhase
 skype: m.kohlhase   * International University Bremen until Feb. 2007