[Om3] need list2.ocd for MathML group

David Carlisle davidc at nag.co.uk
Mon Sep 15 10:18:46 CEST 2008

> I must say, then this definition was plain wrong mathematically and
> conceptually :-).

I'm fairly sure that that *_selector were added specifically to mirror
mathml's selector (although I didn't try to trace any old archived
discussion). Whether it's mathematically wrong or right depends on
whether you think lists and vectors are the same thing. I'd be inclined to
say that the objects are the same, but that the operations were (mostly)
different.   (1,2,3) and (4,5,6) are both just elements of Z^3, if you
think of them as vectors, then you have operations such as +
resulting in (5,7,9) and if you think of them as lists you have
operations such as concat resulting in (1,2,3,4,5,6) , but it's not
clear (unless you are in a strongly typed system) that you need to
distinguish the list (1,2,3) from the vector (1,2,3).

> But If I am the only one complaining then I will probably relent, but I
> still think that this conflation will be a very hard sell

It's the status quo, so you don't need to "sell" this version, you just
need to "sell" changes (and in this case, James and I are resisting
your marketing:-).

David