[Om3] OpenMath Symbols for Symbolic Computation

Paul Libbrecht paul at activemath.org
Thu Sep 18 13:09:47 CEST 2008

Peter,

isn't your concern actually defining the scope of a (set of) evaluation?
I agree with you that making the scope of evaluation is fundamental
for computation but maybe it should be considered as such and not
considered within the object? I would mean something such as :

  evaluate-with-setting( inverse-morphism(xx), setting(base-ring,
known-statements))

Among meaningful features of this approach is the fact that setting
could be actually transmitted by reference (you and I knowing that
group G part of context is actually finite but not needing to repeat
it, that this module is noetherian...).

paul

PS: that is a whole core discussion!