[Om3] binary vs n-ary relations

Professor James Davenport jhd at cs.bath.ac.uk
Sun Sep 21 10:02:10 CEST 2008

On Sun, September 21, 2008 5:16 am, Michael Kohlhase wrote:
> I have found a synchronization issue that I would like to discuss.
Well spotted.
> In the OpenMath CD relation1.ocd most of the relations are given as
> binary (e.g. eq, lt, gt, leq, geq) and in the MathML2 spec they are
> given as n-ary. What do we do?
I had missed that, and I hand't noticed any INSTANCES of n-ary use in
MathML2 (which doesn't mean they don't exist).
> In this case, I think that the soluton should be make them n-ary.
> @JAMES, is this OK with the CD extension rules?
It's LEGAL, in the sense that "all" we are doing is giving ameaning to
something that previously didn't have one. Whether it is WISE is a
different question.
> I have started a discussion item on the discussion page at
> http://wiki.openmath.org/?title=cd%3Arelation1.
I'll follow up on the wisdom there.

James Davenport
Hebron & Medlock Professor of Information Technology
Formerly RAE Coordinator and Undergraduate Director of Studies, CS Dept
Lecturer on CM30070, 30078, 50209, 50123, 50199
Chairman, Powerful Computing WP, University of Bath
OpenMath Content Dictionary Editor
IMU Committee on Electronic Information and Communication