[Om3] Conditions in MathML/OpenMath & calculus1.ocd

Michael Kohlhase m.kohlhase at jacobs-university.de
Sun Sep 21 19:00:16 CEST 2008

Dear all,

I just sent the message below, but it is held for moderation. So if you
are interested, please click
http://svn.openmath.org/OpenMath3/doc/blue/noconds/note.pdf

--------------------------8<--------------------------------

I spent quite some time this weekend getting the OpenMath CDs and the
section on pragmatic content MathML in the MathML3 draft to work
together. For the most part, this was just busywork, but aligning
calculus with all of its qualifiers was a real nightmare. Especially,
since most of the OpenMath people are very opposed to adding a condition
element to OpenMath to match the MathML qualifiers. I have been on
record of proposing one --- and indeed, I think that we need to be able
to represent conditions --- but I have always been met with opposition
and suggestions (that do not work) how to get by without. But now, I
think that I have a way to really do it, see the draft note attached.
This note is based on discussions I had with Florian Rabe, Paul
Libbrecht, and James Davenport, but now I have sweated through the
details and I think it will work.

So please have a look, let us discuss (and hopefully adopt) this, and
get one of the largest roadblocks for MathML/OpenMath alignment out of
the way.

Michael

P.S. BTW the note is at
https://svn.openmath.org/OpenMath3/doc/blue/noconds/note.{tex,pdf}

 Prof. Dr. Michael Kohlhase,       Office: Research 1, Room 62
 Professor of Computer Science     Campus Ring 12,
 School of Engineering & Science   D-28759 Bremen, Germany
 Jacobs University Bremen*         tel/fax: +49 421 200-3140/-493140
 m.kohlhase at jacobs-university.de http://kwarc.info/kohlhase
 skype: m.kohlhase   * International University Bremen until Feb. 2007