[Om3] calculus function difference application

Chris Rowley C.A.Rowley at open.ac.uk
Mon Sep 22 16:51:42 CEST 2008

Jan

In your suport I shall simply state that this notation has been used
whenever and wherever I have taught `calculus' (on 5 continents in
nearly that many decades by now:-).

> To show the binding x, it might be better to write [f(x)]^b_{x=a},
> although this might be confusing for some.

This would often be done in teacghing it and when there are other
potentially bound variables 'hanging around:-)'.

Maybe it was spurned by OpenMath and MathML as it is, quite
reasonably, not used in CA systems.  I suspect that there is a lot of
K-12 maths that has suffered this fate!

chris