[Om3] calculus function difference application

Jan Willem Knopper jknopper at win.tue.nl
Mon Sep 22 17:50:16 CEST 2008

Professor James Davenport wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Sep 2008, Jan Willem Knopper wrote:
> > There is an elementary calculus symbol I would like to use in my formula
> > editor, and I would like to know whether it has been considered in the
> > past for inclusion in OpenMath, and if not, whether it might be useful
> > to include it in the future. It is not currently present in content
> A good question.
Thank you for your quick reply,
> > MathML.
> >
> > In calculus with definite integration one often writes:
> >
> > \int^b_a f'(x)dx = [f(x)]^b_a = f(b)-f(a)

(this is about the [f(x)]^b_a )
> > Any comments on this would be appreciated,
> I was gong to point oit that it is really 'syntactic sygar' for two
> evaluations, and so could be
> <OMA>
>   <OMS name="minus" cd="arith1"/>
>   <OMA>
>     <OMBIND>
>       <OMS name="lambda" cd="fns1"/>
>       <OMBVAR>
>         <OMV name="x"/>
>       </OMBVAR>
>       <OMV name="f"/>
>     </OMBIND>
>     <OMV name="b"/>
>   </OMA>
>   <OMA>
>     <OMBIND>
>       <OMS name="lambda" cd="fns1"/>
>       <OMBVAR>
>         <OMV name="x"/>
>       </OMBVAR>
>       <OMV name="f"/>
>     </OMBIND>
>     <OMV name="a"/>
>   </OMA>
> </OMA>
> which is correct, but not exactly helpful.
> Presumably what you want is something like
> <OMA>
>   <OMBIND>
>     <OMS name="eval_difference" cd="calculus2"/>
>     <!-- hypothetical symbol -->
>     <OMBVAR>
>       <OMV name="x"/>
>     </OMBVAR>
>     <OMV name="f"/>
>   </OMBIND>
>   <OMV name="a"/>
>   <OMV name="b"/>
> </OMA>
>
> Is this correct?
This was what I am looking for.

In this case it is easier to make a good default context-free
notation/display (no conflicts with calculations with lambda functions)
and it is easier to parse (only a single OMBIND, and easy to check if an
expression is in this form).

Regards,

Jan Willem