[Om3] binary vs n-ary relations

Paul Libbrecht paul at activemath.org
Wed Sep 24 22:32:56 CEST 2008

Le 24-sept.-08 à 18:17, Professor James Davenport a écrit :

>> Indeed; while I do think it is appealing to be able to
>> preserve this notational structure, nary relations
>> only scratch the surface.  Short of a contrived
>> multi-relation construct, this situation would
>> seem to be best solved (at a MML level) by
>> a <semantics> pairing of the desired notation
>> and the underlying logic, probably using sharing/id/ref.
>>

> Michael: I fear you're out-numbered.

Well, careful James, I'm afraid MathML-2 spec counts as many voices
here...

Let's be pragmatic, how much are we breaking if we claim that strict-
MathML's relation symbols are binary only?
This can certainly be part of the pragmatic to strict translation right?

> Indeed so, or some other notational method to be invented, but it's a
> NOTATION, not SEMANTICS.

a complaint to the implementors in general may be that they follow
semantics all the time... I've never seen a formula editor actually
offer in its palette the ability to extend a = b to become a = b < c
(except presentation editors).

paul