[Om3] CD-review little report

Professor James Davenport jhd at cs.bath.ac.uk
Thu Sep 25 10:08:51 CEST 2008

On Thu, September 25, 2008 8:51 am, Paul Libbrecht wrote:
> Le 18-sept.-08 à 16:08, Stan Devitt a écrit :
>> I am puzzled.   Have you not seen things like  int f + int g =  int
>> f + g  in K-14 ?
>> Is this not a case of unary Int ?
>> Why would we deprecate such a functionality from content math ?
I have certainly seen then, and indeed written them. In MY CASE (I can't
speak for others, of course) that was in the scope (a complete chapter of
Davenport, Siret, Tournier, fo example) in which 'int' had a specific
meaning (the inverse of differentiation in a given differential field, in
particualr that a formula for the integral existed). Having said which, I
must admit (which was NOT stated in DST) that '=' meant 'equality up to a
constant'.

I personally would like there to be a unary integration, as the inverse of
unary differentiation, and would find it hard to argue for the existence
of one and not the other.

James Davenport
Hebron & Medlock Professor of Information Technology
Formerly RAE Coordinator and Undergraduate Director of Studies, CS Dept
Lecturer on CM30070, 30078, 50209, 50123, 50199
Chairman, Powerful Computing WP, University of Bath
OpenMath Content Dictionary Editor
IMU Committee on Electronic Information and Communication