[Om3] binary vs n-ary relations

Michael Kohlhase m.kohlhase at jacobs-university.de
Thu Sep 25 10:37:43 CEST 2008

Professor James Davenport wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Sep 2008, Bruce Miller wrote:
>
>> Professor James Davenport wrote:

>>> Is it? Oh my God ....
>>>
>> I agree; that's scary!
>> OTOH, it is quite common to string different,
>> but "consistent", relations together:
>>    a = b > c = d >= e >> f
>>
>> Sometimes the consistency is dubious:
>>    a = b
>>      approx c
>>      approx d
>> (where the approx is indicating that the rhs has
>> been somehow approximated, expanded or whatever).
>> I've seen cases where it seemed that the d
>> was more likely an approximation of a than c!
>>
> Indeed so, and therefore it is ahrd to give SEMANTICS to these.
>
> <snip> And then there's the occasional
>
>> Indeed; while I do think it is appealing to be able to
>> preserve this notational structure, nary relations
>> only scratch the surface.  Short of a contrived
>> multi-relation construct, this situation would
>> seem to be best solved (at a MML level) by
>> a <semantics> pairing of the desired notation
>> and the underlying logic, probably using sharing/id/ref.
>>

> Indeed so, or some other notational method to be invented, but it's a
> NOTATION, not SEMANTICS.
>
> Michael: I fear you're out-numbered.

I feel quite comfortable being outnumbered here, I just want to be able
to make justified decisions and therefore make the most controversial
proposal to get people to discuss.

Michael
> James

 Prof. Dr. Michael Kohlhase,       Office: Research 1, Room 62
 Professor of Computer Science     Campus Ring 12,
 School of Engineering & Science   D-28759 Bremen, Germany
 Jacobs University Bremen*         tel/fax: +49 421 200-3140/-493140
 m.kohlhase at jacobs-university.de http://kwarc.info/kohlhase
 skype: m.kohlhase   * International University Bremen until Feb. 2007