[Om3] binary vs n-ary relations

Paul Libbrecht paul at activemath.org
Thu Sep 25 11:17:25 CEST 2008

Le 25-sept.-08 à 11:14, Jan Willem Knopper a écrit :

>>> Chris Rowley wrote:
>>> I would assume a rel b rel c is almost the same as a rel b and b
>>> rel c
>>> (where rel is a relation).
>> I would claim that it is EXACTLY the same (and therefore
>> redundant). I do
>> not know where it conveys different information, and if it does, it
>> certainly needs documenting, so Michael's "making them n-ary" doesn't
>> work.
>> As I said, I'm not sure I understand why you would want the
>> SEMANTICS of
>> this, as I am not sure what they are.
> You have convinced me.
>
> There are no obvious semantics differences here, and I am not sure
> enough that I actually need anything like the semantics of a formula
> manipulation.

I think the ball is on your side Jan Willem... many users and user-
guides (e.g. teachers) will want something to look like a<b<c and
other such...

- how are you going to offer this to users ? (e.g. wiris input editor
does it by reparsing the mathml-p)
- how are you going to express the underlying OpenMath (as above I
suppose)

I think the first question is crucial and needs an elaborate answer
much further than "just apply this symbol here" as is done with most
"simple application symbols".
It probably is a general issue of binary operators.

paul