[Om3] Depth of splitting CDs imported into the wiki

Christoph LANGE ch.lange at jacobs-university.de
Thu Sep 25 17:39:12 CEST 2008

Dear all,

  Michael reported a problem with the wiki, which turned out to be a
misunderstanding.  You know that I split imported CDs into small parts that
are wiki pages of their own (see below for the reasons).  Larger units include
these smaller fragments when they are rendered.  This is now reflected by
small "open this" links, as you may have seen them on Wikipedia.  In fact I'm
planning to turn this into a complete "section editing" workflow (see
http://wiki.kiwi-project.eu/atlassian-jira/browse/SWIM-33).

Now Michael complained that he opened a page that consisted of a "property",
went to the editor, and still encountered an XInclude link pointing to an even
smaller split-off fragment.  He didn't expect that, so let's discuss the depth
of splitting:  Currently I create proper wiki pages from the following
elements (XPath):

	CDDefinition|
	CMP[parent::CDDefinition]|
	FMP[parent::CDDefinition]|
	Example|
	Pragmatic|
	description|
	discussion|
	property|
	MMLexample

That is, from everything whose children can potentially contain proper markup
(except formulas, and of course except plain text).

Does that make sense?  Or should I abolish the splitting for some fine-grained
elements?

Before you now say "back to large units", please keep in mind that this
splitting is necessary for
* more convenient editing of small sections
* being able to extract metadata and edit them in the metadata form
* being able to link and navigate to fragments (links in the style
  largePage#fragment work in principle, but within the wiki you don't get any
  additional benefit from it)
* discussing about small fragments
* getting more exact results of searches and queries.
… and that the document editor is still a nightmare with large documents.

Thanks for your feedback,

Christoph

--
Christoph Lange, DERI Galway/Jacobs Univ. Bremen, http://kwarc.info/clange