[Om3] CD-review little report

Stan Devitt Stan.Devitt at gwi-ag.com
Thu Sep 25 11:02:04 CEST 2008

Paul,

My point is this.

I wish to write a web page for my first year calculus class using the notation int f.
It may be that I want to compare different formal definitions of that notation.  It may be that I simply want to use one particular definition.  In either case, I need one or more content expressions (mapped to appropriate definitions, of course).

In each case "presentation" is not enough.  I actually want to use the notation and
I want to be able to compute with it.  (For a particular interpretation it can be made rigourous.)

If you deprecate that content notation, then I will not be able to do that.

A primary role of MathML is to "facilitate" such discourse by both machine and human interfaces.  Every time we rule out a common notation by saying (in effect)"... My life would be much easier if you wrote it my preferred way" we have missed the mark - at least for common notations K-14.

This particular notation is a legitimate and common  notation for both computation and presentation.  It has been allowed for a considerable time. What could possibly be the rationale for deprecating it?

(It is not good enough for us to say that the current content dictionaries for OpenMath have not yet introduced it and we don't have time to extend them.)

Stan