[Om3] binary vs n-ary relations

Chris Rowley C.A.Rowley at open.ac.uk
Mon Sep 29 00:47:25 CEST 2008

I shall try to be brief here but I think there is a wider issue that
questions about this particular notation brings to the surface.

As with many parts of mathematics, exactly what is written with
non-text symbols and what is written using natural language (or
various mixtures, of course) is very arbitrary.  It varies from
(mathematical) culture to culture and over time.  Also, the range of
symbols and constructions available varies.

Jan's 'problem' is that he has to 'deal with' any notation that comes
from a particular culture right now; but (and this is the real
strangeness) he is not expected to 'deal with' the many ideas
(expressable as OpenMath symbols, operators etc.) from that same
culture that are always expressed purely in natural language, no
symbols needed (used).

That this distinction is unnautural is well illustrated by the fact
that spoken maths does not make any distinction (almost:-) between the
two classes.

Discusss!

chris

Jan