[Om3] UnitsML

Professor James Davenport jhd at cs.bath.ac.uk
Wed Apr 15 18:48:58 CEST 2009

On Wed, April 15, 2009 5:24 pm, David Carlisle wrote:

>> 5) NIST noted that UnitsML has "reported digits", so 9.17 \ne 9.170
>
> Could this be made to relate to the existing notion of precision in
>
> http://www.openmath.org/cd/bigfloat1.xhtml#bigfloatprec
It certainly could do, but we don't even need to go that far (and I'm not
sure bigfloatprec gives us any advantage over bigfloat)

<OMA>
  <OMS name="bigfloat" cd="bigfloat1"/>
  <OMI> 917 </OMI>
  <OMI> 10  </OMI>
  <OMI> -2  </OMI>
</OMA>

is not the same as

<OMA>
  <OMS name="bigfloat" cd="bigfloat1"/>
  <OMI> 9170 </OMI>
  <OMI> 10   </OMI>
  <OMI> -3   </OMI>
</OMA>

though the FMP says they are equal, whihc I guess is OK.

James Davenport
Visiting Full Professor, University of Waterloo
Otherwise:
Hebron & Medlock Professor of Information Technology and
Chairman, Powerful Computing WP, University of Bath
OpenMath Content Dictionary Editor and Programme Chair, OpenMath 2009
IMU Committee on Electronic Information and Communication