[Om3] trouble with container markup example

Paul Libbrecht paul at activemath.org
Thu Feb 12 00:10:28 CET 2009

Le 11-févr.-09 à 23:53, Professor James Davenport a écrit :
>> You are absolutely right Robert,
>> and I fear that both OpenMath and MathML content are having
>> subset_suchthat (the set of things inside a reference set such that
>> some condition holds) but miss
>>   set_of_expressions_such_that
> The reason fro this, as I recall, is to avoid Russell's paradox.

But you do not hit the Russel's paradox since the
   set_of_expressions_such_that( x, domain, f )
   = map(f,suchthat(x,domain))

The issue is having to use map, I think where one wishes to speak of
the set of function-results and not speak about applying f to the set.

Map sounds like it should be called range to me... but that is
superficial.

paul