[Om3] trouble with container markup example

Paul Libbrecht paul at activemath.org
Thu Feb 12 10:48:12 CET 2009

Le 12-févr.-09 à 10:27, Professor James Davenport a écrit :

> On Thu, February 12, 2009 9:21 am, Paul Libbrecht wrote:
>> I think that the fact that Robert and myself didn't find it proves
>> that a symbol having the semantic of
>> set_of_expression_results_suchthat is wished.
> But what precisely would the seminatics be to avoid Russell's
> paradox. I
> think you need to start with a ground set, AS IN map. Maybe the name
> needs
> improvement, but I am unclear whetehr you are suggesting different
> semantics, and if so, which.

I tried to write the description and reached exactly that of map!

The most readable version would be a symbol as above to be a binder
with a domain of definition.
I don't see this possible in the current spec so map is the only
choice. Am I wrong?

>> Since we have a "defining FMP" anyone can do so anytime...
>> But consider here my suggestion (once we find a right name!) for
>> inclusion into set1.
> Fair comment. Indeed, if the DefMP proposal ever gets formalised
> along the
> line of <FMP type="defining">, we could even consider <FMP
> type="alias">
> as a simpled form for this case.

This bumps into the desire for a "generalisation" operator as well.
paul