[Om3] Complex Variables

Michael Kohlhase m.kohlhase at jacobs-university.de
Thu Jul 30 16:06:31 CEST 2009

On 29.07.2009 11:24 Uhr, David Carlisle wrote:
> Michael,
>

>> Problem1: I remember that David and I talked about just making the first
>> form part of strict content MathML, and I had thought that we decided to
>> do that for convenience,
>>

> Srict content mathml doesn't allow element content of ci. I suspect
> you were thinking about allowing the type attribute in strict
>

>> Problem 2: 5.3.2 says that " The value of the |encoding| attribute may
>> contain a media type that identifies the data format
>> for the encoding data."
>> So it should really be
>>              <annotation-xml encoding="|application/mathml-presentation+xml|">
>>

> No, the sentence after the one you quote explictly says to use
> MathML Presentation
>

>    For example, Section 6.2.3 Names of MathML Encodings identifies the
>    strings MathML, MathML Presentation, and MathML Content as predefined
>    values for the encoding attribute that may be used to identify MathML
>    markup

that is a remnant of the time we did not have media types for the three
flavors of MathML. Otherwise it becomes contradictory with the sentence

>  Problem 2: 5.3.2 says that " The value of the |encoding| attribute may
>  contain a media type that identifies the data format
>  for the encoding data."

One of them has to be changes.

Michael
> actually the sentence in (5.2.3.2 Attributes) does need to be adjusted a
> bit now that there is a proposal to have a mime type for presentation
> mathml, to make it clear that the existing usage of using the name
> MathML Presentation takes precedence.
>

>> Problem 3: the<annotation-xml>  element in the example does not have @cd
>> and @name attributes. But I think we really should have them. Otherwise
>> they default to alternative-representation from the mathmlkeys CD. But
>> this seems to be too weak to key the intended behavior of a presentation
>> engine, namely to use the pMahtML directly.
>>

> I don't understand this comment. The default presentation of an
> objected annotated with "presentation mathml" is that presentation.
> I don't see how a cd attribute would effect the default presentaion at
> all (although of course a particular renderer may be affected by any
> markup changes), Perhaps it should have a cd otherwise I assume
> mathmlkes:alternate-representation will get used, but this doesn't
> seem too bad actually, and in any case, doesn't affect the presentation.
>

> 4.2.8.3
>
>    When a Presentation MathML annotation is provided, a MathML renderer may
>    optionally use this information to render the MathML construct. This
>    would typically be the case when the first child is a MathML content
>    construct and the annotation is provided to give a preferred rendering
>    differing from the default for the content elements.
>

>> But do we really want to have the enclosing math tag around the
>> <msup>?
>>

> All examples in MathML2 didn't have enclosing math (or enclosing OMOBJ)
> when mathml or openmath is used as annotations. I think that's the
> correct convention.
>
> David

> The Numerical Algorithms Group Ltd is a company registered in England
> and Wales with company number 1249803. The registered office is:
> Wilkinson House, Jordan Hill Road, Oxford OX2 8DR, United Kingdom.
>
> This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by Star. The service is
> powered by MessageLabs.

  Prof. Dr. Michael Kohlhase,        Office: Research 1, Room 62
  Professor of Computer Science  Campus Ring 1,
  Jacobs University Bremen           D-28759 Bremen, Germany
tel/fax: +49 421 200-3140/-493140  skype: m.kohlhase
m.kohlhase at jacobs-university.de http://kwarc.info/kohlhase