[Om3] Being pragmatic about the semantics of, eg, variables and functions

c.a.rowley at open.ac.uk c.a.rowley at open.ac.uk
Sun Mar 22 21:19:21 CET 2009

I shall be brief here (well, I tried:-) as I shall soon(??) be sending
a message about 'bound and mathematical variables and their
conditioning' to the OM list, including comments on functionality (pun
intended).  This one is intended to make some sense only to the MML readers
but it contains examples and a question about OM3 in general.

I also have far too much to say about functions and integration, with
examples (only 1-dimensional) such as:

\int _{ |\cos(z)| < 1  and z < 0 } ( sin \invisibletimes exp )

chris

What is (and will be) good semantic mark-up of real-world, ordinary
day-to-day mathematical exposition?
-----------------------------------

One thing to get clear (or at least admit to fudging it) is how close
such good semantic mark-up of mathematics 'should be' to the particular
'mathematical phraseology' in use at a particular time and place of
exposition.

Here I say 'phraseology' rather than 'notation' for two reasons:

  one needs to think about the phrase that one would use to give (in
  speech or written text) the mathematical meaning of the notation;

  often the 'complete formula' (the smallest unit which has useful
  mathematical semantics) is not just the part using pure notation but
  also contains such text as 'Let X be a wobbly foo with ... ' or
  '... where X is the wobbly foo in Equation A (and hence has ...)'.

As we always knew, and are now painfully aware, things like
'multi-dimensional definite integration' have a long and continuing
history of ad hoc phraseologies (note the plural, although many are
closely related) that do an excellent job of describing
its three essential constituents:

   the domain of integration
   the integrand
   the measure

(with, no doubt, some lack of clarity about the 'boundaries beteen
these three ingredients').

In MathML we have:

PMML, which confines itself to induividual bits of maotation, ignoring
the words in between;

Pragmatic CMML, which tries to describe the semantics of some of the
isolated notation fragments that form part of some well-known
phraseologies --- but to do this it often has to make assumptions
about what (or that something) is in the non-notational parts of those
phraseologies (see further below);

Strict CMML which tries to ... (??) (I need one of those
maction:fill-in-dots thingies here) and must 'align with' OM3,
which tries to ... ??

I am not even sure if these two '...' must have the same answer (for
OM3 in general that is: they had better coincide on the part of OM£
that is equivalent to Strict CMML).

P-CMML (as it seems to me) therefore tries to describe the semantics
using a phraseology that is very close to the (presentation) structure
of the notation; this becomes more and more difficult and ad hoc as do
the notations being used.

Some pertinent examples of common phraseologies within descriptions of 'the
calculus of 1-dim real functions':

Ph1: the use of (apparently unconditioned) 'mathematical (18/19C)
variables' and (untyped) expressions

Ph2: the use of (20/21C) (single-valued, complete) functions with
(possibly implicit) well-defined domains and names (here $x^2$, and
its lambda-formalism, is simply the most common name given to many of
the 'squaring functions'; there is no 'universal squarer' defined by
an (almost) untyped lambda-expression);

Ph3: the use of the notations and ideas from computational
(mathematical, symbolic) logical with lamda-expressions and
'universality'.