[Om3] Being pragmatic about the semantics of, eg, variables and functions

Professor James Davenport jhd at cs.bath.ac.uk
Mon Mar 23 06:01:29 CET 2009

On Mon, March 23, 2009 12:07 am, c.a.rowley at open.ac.uk wrote:

> Well spotted, James: but you are making an (entirely reasonable)
> assumption
> about the measure.
>
> Add |cos z| = 1 to the domain if you wish but then you will complain that
> it is (assuming z is a 'real variable', of course).
Which I did since $z<0$. I (subconsciously) played Axiom in my head and
looked for an ordered set with a cos functions.

James Davenport
Visiting Full Professor, University of Waterloo
Otherwise:
Hebron & Medlock Professor of Information Technology and
Chairman, Powerful Computing WP, University of Bath
OpenMath Content Dictionary Editor and Programme Chair, OpenMath 2009
IMU Committee on Electronic Information and Communication