[Om3] Summary of the Davenport&Kohlhase Proposal

David Carlisle davidc at nag.co.uk
Mon Mar 23 11:46:16 CET 2009

> please explain how much this is breaking.
> I only see this as an expansion but I agree this brings yet another
> way of writing.

Well it's my TeX heritage telling me that any change will break
something. Since one of the main points of OpenMath is communicating
expressions, making a change for cosmetic reasons that results in no
existing systems being able to process the expression seems like
a bad idea, even if you thought the change was an improvement.

So my adjective "breaking" was probably gratuitous, as "breaking change"
and "change" probably mean the same thing here.

> It allows expressions which, earlier, were disallowed by the schema,
> to be allowed now.

In other words, making expressions that were authored previously in
error suddenly aquire an unintended meaning and be no longer flagged as
an error.

David