[Om3] Pragmatics, timing, summary, and proposed resolutions

Michael Kohlhase m.kohlhase at jacobs-university.de
Wed Mar 25 00:02:43 CET 2009

David Carlisle wrote:
> Michael,
>
>    2. for the OMSoc; if it wants to make changes to OM Objects (e.g. for
>       the DavKoh proposal), then these must approved on the CICM
>       meeting, so that they can be incorporated into the MathML3
>       specification of SCM3.
>
> It's not at all clear to me that we could get any OM3 text decided by
> July, but even if we could, I agree with Robert that that's too late for
> MathML. The next draft is supposed to be last call, even if we decide to
> fit in one more WD before last call, we need to do last call before
> July. If we finish up chapter 4 now, checking all the rewrites to
> strict, proof reading all the texts etc, then even if OM does decide to
> allow OpenMath to have these "extended" ("strange"?) binding constructs,

David, we all know that you do not like the changes; could we stick to
administrative matters for the moment?
> then MathML's translation to strict shouldn't use them as we'd be too far
> down the line to redo all the translations to strict (even if we wanted
> to).

I am wondering if you read the text I have written. The whole point was
to try to dissociate the translation from the strict MathML. And the
explicitly stated point (plan for MathML) was to do the translation in a
way that is OM2-compatible. So you got your way there and that is OK.
All I want to do is to see that we will not preclude further development
in OpenMath, which is what you seem to be trying to do here by
artificially re-conflating issues that I had tried to pull apart.

Michael

> That's the main point of Robert's choices A and B in the mail on Monday.
> We need to have a plan for MathML that does not require the mathml spec
> to track future changes to OpenMath,
>
> David

> The Numerical Algorithms Group Ltd is a company registered in England
> and Wales with company number 1249803. The registered office is:
> Wilkinson House, Jordan Hill Road, Oxford OX2 8DR, United Kingdom.
>
> This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by Star. The service is
> powered by MessageLabs.

 Prof. Dr. Michael Kohlhase,       Office: Research 1, Room 62
 Professor of Computer Science     Campus Ring 12,
 School of Engineering & Science   D-28759 Bremen, Germany
 Jacobs University Bremen*         tel/fax: +49 421 200-3140/-493140
 m.kohlhase at jacobs-university.de http://kwarc.info/kohlhase
 skype: m.kohlhase   * on Sabbatical in Auckland (NZ) until VII/2009