[Om3] OpenMath 3 XSLT revival, and questions

Christoph LANGE ch.lange at jacobs-university.de
Tue Feb 15 17:43:03 CET 2011

Hi David,

in reviving the XSLTs from the "OpenMath 3" branch I tried my best to
merge your more recent improvements to www/cdfiles2/xsl into the
"OpenMath 2+/3" CDs.  These improvements include Strict Content MathML
support, Popcorn, and URL formatting.

The result is, for now, in the OpenMath 2++ directory, but the actual
final location depends on what directory structure we figure out in the
infrastructure team.

In this mail, I would just like to refresh the minds of the others about
the improvements that I had made to the XSLTs in the OpenMath 3 branch
in 2008.  And, @David, I would like to ask you about some issues I
encountered when merging in your improvements.

A short recap: In 2008, I have made the following changes/improvements
in the "OpenMath 3" branch:
* put CD-specific XSLTs into a "cd" subdirectory
* facilitating reusability by other applications (e.g. the OpenMath
wiki): split cd2html.xsl (formerly cd.xsl) into a generic part
cd2html-util.xsl and …
* … the remaining cd2html, which handles cd:CD and om:OMOBJ as needed
for the static XHTML renderings of the CDs.
* CSS and JavaScript now is only in lib/{css,js}, again to facilitate
reusability
* more named templates (to allow for better reuse of parts)
* displaying links from CDs and symbols to wiki.openmath.org from the
XHTML (to encourage discussion – we could also add other related web
resources here, e.g. the Notation Census)

Whatever CDs we continue to use for "the next version of OpenMath", I
would of course like to lobby for these changes to be retained.
However, another round of revision would be needed in order to clear
"my" version of the XSLTs from their support experimental MathML
3/OpenMath 3 constructs, which we are not going to retain in the next
version.

@David, now for the issues I encountered:

I can't judge whether the changes to the CD-specific XSLTs that you have
made in the OpenMath 3 branch and in www/cdfiles2/xsl are in sync.  An
easy solution would be to assume that the current version of all
www/cdfiles2/xsl/CDNAME.xsl files is up to date, and replace the
formerly-OpenMath3-XSLTs with them.  But I'm not so sure about that, as
today I did notice one fix in om2cmml.xsl that you made in OM3 but not
in OM2, but which was not OM3-specific.

In some places in cd.xsl I noticed that you added

cd:CDDefinition[1]/cd:Name[1]
                          ^^^

… whereas in other places you didn't add it.  Do we have invalid CD
files that have two names per symbol?

In my code I realised test-file-exists via boolean(document(...)), i.e.
without using java.io.File.  That does not exactly do the same job but
IMHO works well enough.  The problem with java.io.File is that the free
version of Saxon >= 9.2 no longer supports that convenient way of
calling Java code.  And I suppose that we will eventually switch to the
latest Saxon.

Cheers,

Christoph

--