[Om3] OpenMath 3 XSLT revival, and questions

David Carlisle davidc at nag.co.uk
Tue Feb 15 18:03:15 CET 2011

On 15/02/2011 16:43, Christoph LANGE wrote:
> Hi David,

> @David, now for the issues I encountered:
>
> I can't judge whether the changes to the CD-specific XSLTs that you have
> made in the OpenMath 3 branch and in www/cdfiles2/xsl are in sync.

neither can I:-)

As you know there was a period when it wasn't really clear which set
were being used and so fixes probably got applied to one or the other or
both.  later in the (mathml3) process once we'd committed to basing
things on the OM2 CDs there were I think some fixes specifically to fix
things that came up while testing rewrites to strict content mathml
(which worked by translating to openmath and then back to mathml) so
those later fixes would (I hope) all be in the om2 branch currently.

   An
> easy solution would be to assume that the current version of all
> www/cdfiles2/xsl/CDNAME.xsl files is up to date, and replace the
> formerly-OpenMath3-XSLTs with them.  But I'm not so sure about that, as
> today I did notice one fix in om2cmml.xsl that you made in OM3 but not
> in OM2, but which was not OM3-specific.

probably you should do that, and I'll try to get time to run through the
change logs of the OM3 ones to see if anything I did there should be
moved across.

> In some places in cd.xsl I noticed that you added
>
> cd:CDDefinition[1]/cd:Name[1]
>                            ^^^
>
> … whereas in other places you didn't add it.  Do we have invalid CD
> files that have two names per symbol?

I would guess that we must have had, as I doubt that I would have added
the [1] there unless it was generating an error without it, and as you
say that would apparently mean the input was invalid. I can't remember,
but one possible place that that could be useful would be processing
submissions by the contribution form. If the contributed CD isn't quite
valid you probably still want the html generation to work as far as
possible rather than it fail with some xpath error that two items have
been selected when one is expected.

> In my code I realised test-file-exists via boolean(document(...)), i.e.
> without using java.io.File.  That does not exactly do the same job but
> IMHO works well enough.  The problem with java.io.File is that the free
> version of Saxon>= 9.2 no longer supports that convenient way of
> calling Java code.  And I suppose that we will eventually switch to the
> latest Saxon.

yes we should get rid of saxon/java dependencies as far as possible,
best would be to use doc-available() I think.

> Cheers,
>
> Christoph

David