[Om3] Kicking off an OpenMath2+ Process (Standard Enhancement)

Lars Hellström Lars.Hellstrom at residenset.net
Thu Feb 24 18:23:44 CET 2011

Michael Kohlhase skrev 2011-02-24 16.34:
> Dear James,
>

> On 2/22/11 2:45 PM, Professor James Davenport wrote:
>> I agree with Michael. We will need ONE encoding in the standard itsefl,
>> though, otherwise we can't give examples, and that might as well be the
>> <OMA>... one (which will also need a better name).
>
> I am not sure that this is actually true. If we follow Lars' idea,

Actually, I specifically did NOT say anything about moving out the OMA-style
XML encoding, since I thought that to be a too radical change. What I _did_
suggest was that one should _consider_ moving out the binary encoding, since
I suspect only a minority of the readers of the standard are interested in
the details of it, but I wouldn't find it strange if people want to keep
those details in for historical reasons.

> then the
> main OpenMath standard would mainly consist of the current
> chapter 1. Introduction,
> chapter2. OpenMath Objects

Also, I must say I find chapter 2 somewhat woolly, and have often looked more
in section 3.1 for information on how things fit together. Not including the
XML encoding in the core standard document would make the standard harder to
comprehend.

> chapter 5. Compliance (but without 5.1 and 5.3, which go to the XML encoding
> standard)

5.3 ("Content Dictionaries") doesn't seem to have anything to do with the XML
encoding.

Lars Hellström