[Om3] Kicking off an OpenMath2+ Process (Standard Enhancement)

Professor James Davenport jhd at cs.bath.ac.uk
Fri Feb 25 00:36:53 CET 2011

On Thu, February 24, 2011 5:23 pm, Lars Hellström wrote:
> Michael Kohlhase skrev 2011-02-24 16.34:
>> Dear James,
>>

>> On 2/22/11 2:45 PM, Professor James Davenport wrote:
>>> I agree with Michael. We will need ONE encoding in the standard itsefl,
>>> though, otherwise we can't give examples, and that might as well be the
>>> <OMA>... one (which will also need a better name).
>>
>> I am not sure that this is actually true. If we follow Lars' idea,
>
> Actually, I specifically did NOT say anything about moving out the
> OMA-style
> XML encoding, since I thought that to be a too radical change. What I
> _did_
> suggest was that one should _consider_ moving out the binary encoding,
> since
> I suspect only a minority of the readers of the standard are interested in
> the details of it, but I wouldn't find it strange if people want to keep
> those details in for historical reasons.
In general, Ilike the idea of a set of fre-standing (independently
augmentable) sets of encodings.
>> then the
>> main OpenMath standard would mainly consist of the current
>> chapter 1. Introduction,
>> chapter2. OpenMath Objects
>> chapter 5. Compliance (but without 5.1 and 5.3, which go to the XML
>> encoding standard)
>
> 5.3 ("Content Dictionaries") doesn't seem to have anything to do with the
> XML encoding.
I think I agree with Lars here.

James Davenport
Lecturer on XX10190 and CM30070
Hebron & Medlock Professor of Information Technology, University of Bath
OpenMath Content Dictionary Editor and Programme Chair, OpenMath 2009
IMU Committee on Electronic Information and Communication
Engineering & Science Board, Council of the British Computer Society
Federal Council, International Foundation for Computational Logic