[Om3] Project ideas

Professor James Davenport jhd at cs.bath.ac.uk
Mon Oct 10 21:50:26 CEST 2011

On Mon, October 10, 2011 6:51 pm, Paul Libbrecht wrote:
> Le 10 oct. 2011 à 19:41, Professor James Davenport a écrit :
>>> XSLT, and the integration in a workflow of it (e.g. dedicated XPath
>>> functions, process from just created DOM) is surely among the most
>>> important toolsets.
>> I'm not sure I understand this. Maybe I'll try to Skype you later.
>
> XSLT is good but it is a standard, doing very tough work with the standard
> is often limited.
> When you run XSLT you can use simply xsltproc or some such, and manipulate
> files for input and output.
> Or you can run XSLT within an environment you control (I know well of
> Saxon in the java-world, it looks like it has a .net port for version 8)
> and programmatically manipulate objects before, during, and after xslt.
OK - I understand you're saying that one may want MORE than XSLT, even
though XSLT is useful. I can see that, therefore, a project might want to
use XSLT AND something else. Thisis helpful,as I had prevously thought of
(exclusive) OR.

However, I  am also looking for ideas of what such a project might
actually be. If we had DefMP, we could consider a tool that mapped into
subsets ofCds, using DefMP to remove symbols that weren't understood.

James Davenport
Lecturer on XX10190 and CM30070
Hebron & Medlock Professor of Information Technology, University of Bath
OpenMath Content Dictionary Editor
IMU Committee on Electronic Information and Communication
Engineering & Science Board, Council of the British Computer Society
Director of Studies, HPC Doctoral Taught Course Centre
Federal Council, International Foundation for Computational Logic
Programme Chair, Conferences in Intelligent Computer Mathematics 2011