[Om3] Initializing OM3 at 2013 Process

Michael Kohlhase m.kohlhase at jacobs-university.de
Tue Oct 1 09:04:11 CEST 2013

Dear all,

the summer is over, and the dust of the new semester (for me) has
somewhat settled, so we should get on with our mandate to look at
extension of OM2, possibly with a view towards an OpenMath 3 standard. I
have attached JHD's meeting minutes; here are the relevant parts, with
my comments inline

 > MK listed some change suggestions.
 > 1. Better rˆole system (MK/FR)
 > 2. n-ary binders (see Hellstr ̈om’s second presentation)
 > 3. first-class sequences (Horozal/Kohlhase)
 > 4. first-class records (Kohlhase)
 > 5. flexForm CDs
 > 6. Notation Definitions
 > 7. DefMPs
 > 8. Document/develop CD writing tools (see Hellstr ̈om’s first
presentation)
 > 9. Recognise Content MathML as an encoding.
 > 10. Bug reports

Some of these issues are already raised (and discussed in the TRAC at
http://trac.mathweb.org/OM3 I propose to just adopt the TRAC as an open
resource for discussion and planning. Everyone interested is invited to
make an account at https://trac.mathweb.org/register/register and tell
me the account name (please no funny characters and blanks) and I will
give you permissions. I expect that we will have to clean up some
obsolete issues, and resolve the rest. Furthermore, we should collect
all change proposals out there and put them onto the TRAC, so that we
can work them off.

 > He therefore proposed a Standards Extension Committee, to meet and
deliver an opinion
 > before the OpenMath Meeting 2014 (at CICM 2014 in Coimbra). This
proposal was carried.

 > DPC noted that MathML was proposed by W3C to be “elevated” to ISO
standards, with the
 > process to start in 2013 already. This might impose some time
constraints, though it was
 > not totally obvious precisely which these were at this stage.

 > Membership MK, DPC, JHD, LH, CL, CAR, JWK. the Committee was given
the power to co-opt.
 > Working The Committee should work via an open mailing list, and Skype
calls.

I had hoped that we could initialize this process using the
om3 at openmath.org but I am unsure about group membership, and I have not
heard from Jan Willem on the matter. So I am writing to you individually
and cross-posting to the list for archiving (see
http://openmath.org/pipermail/om3/). I suggest we keep this pattern
until the mailing list matter is resolved.

I propose to announce that we have started work on the general OM
mailing list, and invite everyone to join the OM3 mailig list (or be put
onto the addressee list of this thread) and look at the TRAC or the OM3
archives. Furthermore, we should invite people to make standards
enhancement proposals by posting to the TRAC (everyone authenticated can
do this).

We should also have a kick-off skype meeting; would next week suit
(generally, I will set up a doodle).

Michael

Prof. Dr. Michael Kohlhase, Office: Research 1, Room 168
Professor of Computer Science Campus Ring 1, Jacobs University Bremen
D-28759 Bremen, Germany tel/fax: +49 421 200-3140/-493140
skype: m.kohlhase m.kohlhase at jacobs-university.de
http://kwarc.info/kohlhase