[Trac] [OpenMath] #38: Incorporate Dublin Core and Creative Commons instead of idiosyncratic metadata

OpenMath trac at strawberry.eecs.jacobs-university.de
Fri Jun 13 19:21:16 CEST 2008

#38: Incorporate Dublin Core and Creative Commons instead of idiosyncratic
metadata
------------------------------+---------------------------------------------
     Reporter:  clange        |          Owner:  kohlhase
         Type:  proposal      |         Status:  new
    Component:  OM3 Standard  |        Version:
   Resolution:                |       Keywords:
Include_gantt:  0             |   Dependencies:
   Due_assign:  YYYY/MM/DD    |      Due_close:  YYYY/MM/DD
------------------------------+---------------------------------------------
Changes (by clange):

  * priority:  blocker => major

Old description:

> This is a rephrased version of proposal #12. I think many of these
> problems can be solved by getting rid of some (not all) of the
> idiosyncratic OpenMath CD metadata elements and replacing them by Dublin
> Core, Creative Commons, and other well-known metadata ontologies. One
> could either do this by statically importing certain XML schemas into the
> OpenMath XML schema, as e.g. OMDoc 1.2 does, too. That would give us
> elements like
> {{{
> <dc:author>Name</dc:author>
> }}}
> Several existing elements of the CD language could be abolished or
> deprecated in favour of this:
> * CDGroupName maps to dc:identifier
> * CDGroupDescription maps to dc:description
> * CDName maps to dc:identifier (see comment below for a discussion)
> * Description maps, quite naturally, to dc:description
> * CDDate maps, naturally, to dc:date
> * For CDComment, there is nothing in Dublin Core, but rdfs:comment from
> the widely used RDF Vocabulary Description Language (RDFS) could be used.
> * CDDefinition/Name maps to dc:identifier (see comment)
> * CDSignatures/Name maps to dc:identifier
> See http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-terms/ for the specification of
> Dublin Core.

New description:

[...]

Comment:

 To shortly recapitulate the discussion about CDName or Name vs.
 dc:identifier (2008/02/26 on the OM3 list):

  * I (Christoph) proposed this.
  * James had general concerns
  * I said that according to the [http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-
 terms/#terms-identifier Dublin Core spec], such an identifier is meant to
 be "unambiguous within a given context"
  * Paul said that actually CDBase + CDName is the identifier
  * Michael agreed with Paul

 … and then I didn't reply anymore and forgot the issue. I'm sorry for
 that.

 So let me now reply: I'm still in favour of dc:identifier, because
  1. the CDBase has to be given anyway. (CDBase is, BTW, a metadata field
 for which there is no obvious Dublin Core or other replacement.)
  2. dc:identifier is not meant to be the same as a URI. In fact, a URI for
 some OpenMath CD element with a name would be constructed as CDBase +
 CDName, same as the URI of a symbol is constructed as CDBase + CDName +
 Name. Still, in the local scope of a CD, the unambiguous identifier of a
 symbol is just its Name.

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.mathweb.org/OM3/ticket/38#comment:1>
OpenMath <http://www.openmath.org>