[Trac] [OpenMath] #38: Incorporate Dublin Core and Creative Commons instead of idiosyncratic metadata

OpenMath trac at strawberry.eecs.jacobs-university.de
Tue Sep 9 18:04:56 CEST 2008

#38: Incorporate Dublin Core and Creative Commons instead of idiosyncratic
metadata
     Reporter:  clange      |          Owner:  kohlhase
         Type:  proposal    |         Status:  new
    Component:  CD3 Format  |        Version:
   Resolution:              |       Keywords:
Include_gantt:  0           |   Dependencies:
   Due_assign:  YYYY/MM/DD  |      Due_close:  YYYY/MM/DD
Comment (by clange):

 Replying to [comment:6 david]:
 > Any software that would want to extract RDF metadata out of the CDs
 would need some tuning to know whereto find the metadata even if were
 encoded in dc format.
 Right, but maybe a bit less than before, if we allow for metadata in any
 reasonable place of a CD (#40)
 > For such software building a mapping from OM* to dc:* into the
 extraction process isn't really a big deal.
 That's right; that's what I'm currently doing
 ([https://svn.kwarc.info/repos/swim/projects/krextor/trunk/src/extract-
 ocd-rdf.xsl my implementation])
 > If there is a distinct set of OM* elements then CD tools can easily know
 what elements need to be implemented,
 Here my concern is that there are some proposals for reinventing the wheel
 on our part, i.e. inventing new metadata-like elements for [ticket:12
 authors] and [ticket:18 licensing], and maybe more.  For such metadata
 (and for many of those we already have in OpenMath) there are existing and
 well-maintained vocabularies.
 > if we include subsets of external vocabularies (dc, rdfs, owl?, ....)
 > then this is harder to document and harder to enforce.
 If we leave it to the applications how many metadata vocabularies they
 want to support, can't we specify a negotiation algorithm for that, as we
 do for CDs?  (Or how about actually defining some mapping that allows for
 handling external metadata vocabularies exactly like OpenMath CDs? -- and
 getting this negotiation for free.)

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.mathweb.org/OM3/ticket/38#comment:7>
OpenMath <http://www.openmath.org>