[om-a] Draft version of OpenMath 1.1 available

David Carlisle davidc at nag.co.uk
Thu Oct 24 00:19:13 CEST 2002

> In particular, why not just make repeated variables ``erroneous'' in the
> CLtL sense (undefined, but not an error) instead of this arbitrary rule?

I think mainly as this effectively keeps all existing reasonable OM
objects valid, and with the same interpretation as before. This seems a
good objective for a "point" release. For an OM 2 (or if we'd got it
right in OM 1) then maybe error would be a possibility but I didn't want
to suggest invalidating such objects in OM 1.1.

> what's more, it contradicts the variable-renaming rule in the
> preceding

er that would be bad. I just read the text and don't see a conflict
If you have an expression with repeated variables teh preceding alpha
renaming rule would just give you an expression with a new repeated
variable and then the new paragraph would still apply wouldn't it (it's
maybe too late in teh evening to be thinking about this:-)

> (which incidentally needs to be generalized to the n-variables case, I
> just realized).

True it probably should be, thanks.

David

om-announce at openmath.org  -  public announcements concerning OpenMath