[Om-announce] Codeboard.io: a web-based IDE for the classroom

Nordio Dario Martin martin.nordio at inf.ethz.ch
Tue Sep 29 16:59:29 CEST 2015

Dear all,

if you teach programming, software engineering, software architecture or related topics, the following might be of interest to you.

In our group at ETH, we've developed a web-based IDE to support teaching in the classroom and simplify the way educators share programming exercises with students. The project is publicly available at: https://codeboard.io

Some of the main features include:

  *   Creation of exercises in a feature-rich IDE which then can simply be shared using their Urls.
  *   Support for different teaching language: C, C++, Eiffel, Haskell, Java, Python.
  *   Automatic grading of submissions based on unit tests (JUnit, HSpec, Py-UnitTest) or customized test drivers.
  *   Teachers can open and inspect submissions directly in the Codeboard IDE, i.e. no more handling of submissions via Email etc.
  *   Codeboard integrates with educational platforms such as Moodle or openEdX, e.g. it can forward grades of automatically tested submissions.

We've already gotten a bit of feedback on this project since Codeboard is used in some large online courses [1,2].

However, we'd very much appreciate more input and suggestions from teachers and teaching assistants. So please don't hesitate to give Codeboard a try and get in touch with us about any questions or suggestions you might have.

With best regards,

  Christian Estler
  Martin Nordio
--